Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I don't usually

Rant. I don't usually rant. But, I have a small one. We were on our way home from taking a couple pics of my sister on Monday and we saw this.
Now, this is a normal sight as we drive down the road. But, it made me wonder, how much did this stretch (about 2 miles) cost the city of Sandy, Utah? I understand that it looks nice, but couldn't we have spent the money to pay a deserving teacher a little more each year? I know that the great people in the Canyons school district don't need the money (scoff), but teachers in other districts (like Jordan, the district the Canyons spat on as they drove by in their Escalades last year) need that money. 
My husband is an educator and couldn't even find a job teaching this last year because of never-ending budget cuts. Schools in Utah, except Canyons, can't afford it. 
So, I see this large cement barrier, with trees and flowers planted in it, as a big waste of money. A huge waste of money - you can make a street look nice without something that, no doubt, will be ripped up in a couple years as the state decides that the road needs to be widened - yet again!
There you have it - my rant for the day. They don't come along very often, but I feel I got my point across. Canyons school district can kiss their pavement and know that one day Kharma will get the best of them. Everyone deserves the right to a fair education and just because you think you're better than those of us that went to a west side school doesn't mean you are. 
The state should also think about the things they spend their money on. They should take the shopaholic view to things and ask themselves, "do I need this." 
The answer is no.

No comments: