Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Book Club

We love our new ward - well, we've been there since July, but haven't really been here enough to get to know people until now. The Relief Society has a book club, so I thought I would join in. We read 'The Hiding Place' by Corrie ten Boom for our October book.
It was fantastic! I've never been a huge reader, but I still loved it. My brother and sister could always sit down and read for days, but I didn't have the interest - or the attention span. But, lately I have found some free time to get back into some things that I used to love, and reading is one of those forgotten pastimes (along with crafty things and cooking). I'm really loving this 'me time' thing I've got going on. 
I was a little hesitant to dive into this book, mostly because it's about WWII - I knew it would be sad. But I also knew that I wanted to participate in a book club for once and read books that weren't assigned to me in school. So, look at me, choosing to read and actually finishing a book. Yay me!
'The Hiding Place' does take place during WWII, and it does have some sad moments, but is still completely uplifting. The conviction and love of the Lord shoots through this book. Corrie looks terror in the face and still finds a way to gain peace through faith and forgiveness.
I highly recommend this read.

1 comment:

Travis and Robyn said...

I loved this book too. I kind of have a thing for war books for some reason though. I'm kind of pulled into the truthfulness of them. I'm glad you shared because I'm always looking for a great new book to read, so keep posting!